PostGIS is docbook, a decision from Way Back.

Docbook has served us well, and in particular has provided some
unexpected benefits, in that the detailed markup have allowed
documentation-driven test frameworks to be built (we can actually
automatically test every documented function).

That said, if I were making the decision again today I'd use RST and
Sphinx, for the attractiveness of output and the human-readability of
the documentation source. It's easier to update the documentation at
source when you can easily visually scan it. I found I couldn't write
large chunks of docbook without using a WYSIWYG editor like (now
defunct) XMetaL.

P.