Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
Hi all,

(This is cross posting from the pgrouting list, sorry for the dups.)

I have preprocessed some shapefile data and added elevation information in the Z value of the coordinates. I'm wondering how to best utilize that in routes and would like any thoughts or ideas you might be willing to share.

The obvious answer is to wrap the elevation data into the cost values as this is simple and straight forward and does not require code changes. This brings me to what have other people done or thought about doing in this regard?
Since you seem to enjoy large database problems, have you considered loading the DEM data together with the roads and sample the viewshed every few km? You could then create an objective cost factor for "scenic," proportional to the amount of land visible, with some adjusting factor that distinguishes morphology, land cover, or other weighted factors from each sample point. Creating a scale of "scenic" and "picturesque" as it goes form "ho-hum flatland" to "precipitous, brake-burning, wheel-gripping adventurous" might be fun all by itself.

If you're looking for 3D ideas, there's a GIS consulting company across the hall from me that specializes in 3D information, visualization and analysis, and I know they are working on web services to deliver the sort of data that an application like yours would consume. Their website is full of 3D imagery, articles and examples that you might want to check out for ideas or inspiration There's a particularly good demonstration of using fog instead of shadow to create a visual representation of ridge lines, if your 're using those to determine a topographic index (see http://ctmap.com/serendipity/index.php).

*Bill Thoen*
GISnet - www.gisnet.com <http://www.gisnet.com/>
1401 Walnut St., Suite C
Boulder, CO 80302