Yes, on the OSGeo Discuss list there was the interesting suggestion that one could compute the viewshed for points along a road segment to get an estimate of the potential view from that segment. I'm thinking about doing this in the future since I already have the DEM which would be required for the US. The BIG problem is how to do this from a great many points as it is compute cost heavy.

There are also problems with vegetation blocking the view, but just computing the potential view based on the DEM might be a good starting point. By comparing the difference between a DEM that looks at the ground and one that looks at the vegetation you can probably get a good idea of whether or not the view is hidden by the vegetation.

So many ideas and so little time and compute power <sigh>.

In the idea of costing cross traffic turns higher than with traffic turns, this would be a very cool feature to have in pgRouting. In the abstract we are adding a cost at a node based on a rule. If the rules are extensible, then a node might also represent a bus stop and a schedule such that given an arrival time at the stop we can cost then compute the wait time for each successive departure when doing multi-modal routing.

-Steve