On 11-03-03 11:54 AM, Robert Hollingsworth wrote:

It has occurred to me that it would be useful to create
an "Open-Source Project Starter Kit," a file structure
consisting of the means to create and maintain a
project, with none of the actual content. It's skeleton
website definition would simply point at the
unpopulated management components.

[...]

Any ideas out there on the feasibility of something like
this, how to construct, etc.? I know a starter kit such as
this would be most attractive to the GITA audience I'll
be speaking to if it as close as possible to being a
one-button operation.

Hi Robert,

I think it would be challenging to come up with an "Open-Source Project Starter Kit" that really works. I mean, launching and running an open source project is not only about making the source available under the right project infrastructure and tools, it is also in large part a different way to build and manage software and its community of users and developers, and this knowledge does not come in a box.

The book "Producing Open Source Software" could be a good starting point: http://producingoss.com/

My personal advice to anyone willing to launch and run a successful open source project would be to join and contribute to existing successful open source project for a little while, then try to immerse yourself in the way they do things, and apply those tricks to your project.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/