Hi, I totally share the vision of Robert and I think there are some
web pages making this[1] a bit easier. I have no experience with them
but I think the main idea is that they don't charge the user unless
the critical amount is reached and, therefore, the project started. I
think it may encourage people to fund.

In [1], it seems projects has to be accepted, so having such a system
dedicated for osgeo projects would make sense I guess.

Please, don't take me too seriously, I'm just brainstorming...

Regards.

[1] I guess there are plenty of them, but the only one I know in
english is http://www.kickstarter.com/