Hi Mark,

OpenLayers is just the map display part of the puzzle. Once you move into implementing the tracking yourself, and not using Google API services, you will need road layer data (OpenStreetMap data comes to mind here) and a back-end database (PostGIS/PostgreSQL or possibly SpatiaLite or the spatial extension to MS SQL Server).

Dan