Click on two points to display a route, touch two points to display a route -
this is natural progression from mouse based hardware to touch screen mode.
There should not be any patent there, it is just a generic change in pointing
device.

Numerous web apps (& mapping portals) dim the background for popups & other
"foreground" info - hopefully nothing new or patentable there.

My concern is not this has been applied for, but that someone presumeably
believes such minor adaptations are patentable under US law.

Hopefully not - coming from a country which recently legislated software as not
patentable.

Shock, horror - could OSGEO join with ESRI to contest this? A comparable case a
few years ago in New Zealand created a very unusual set of bedfellows - who
successfully contested the patent, at a cost substantially cheaper than
pursuing individual cases against it. See:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=3576578

Cheers,

  Brent Wood