Hi Cameron,

On 05/06/2014 01:55 AM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
I've heard a few people recommending [b] Solr [a] for lightning fast spatial search, which leads me to question my understanding of best practice OGC / OSGeo design paradigms.

Solr is one of the most popular enterprise search engine, with NoSQL features recently added. Traditionally it is not used to replace a database but to create indexes and make searches very fast.

In particular:

1. Have people been rolling out Solr's spatial search into production instead of WFS (such as GeoServer)? Why was or was not Solr chosen?

Solr has been widely used in production as part of CKAN [1].
Specifically CKAN with spatial extension was deployed recently in US data.gov [2], data.gov.uk [3] and data.gov.au [4] among others.

Two of the OSGeo CSW implementations are planning to support Solr as a search back-end [5] [6]

2. Solr doesn't seem to follow OGC standards (I'd suspect a cut down version of WFS would be appropriate). Are there discussions with the OGC about setting up an appropriate standard which Solr could/should follow?

3. If Solr is indeed a good match for certain use cases, then should we be including it on OSGeo-Live [c]?

In my opinion we should consider CKAN (with spatial extension) to be included in OSGeoLive.

[a] https://lucene.apache.org/solr/ Solr is the popular, blazing fast open source enterprise search platform. Its major features include powerful full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted search, near real-time indexing, dynamic clustering, database integration, rich document (e.g., Word, PDF) handling, and *geospatial search*.

[b] http://wiki.hsr.ch/Datenbanken/files/Geospatial_Search_Evaluation_of_Solr_Presentation_HS2013_Wolski.pdf

[c] http://live.osgeo.org

Best,
Angelos