Patrick, others,
OSGeo and related OGC communities have been successful previously in stopping ESRI's inappropriate creation of OGC standards. See here: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geoservices_REST_API

I'd suggest that if we as OSGeo wish to be effective at blocking a vendor lock-in tactic, as seems to be the case, then we should consider developing a similar wiki page for the LAS format debate.

0. Write an open letter (who to? OGC?)
1. Describe the issue. (Is there someone who knows the issues well enough to describe them?) 2. Describe technically why one format is or is not better than the other, on both a technical and commercial point of view.
3. Is the Open LIDAR format an OGC standard?
4. If needed, collect signatures.
5. If needed, ask OSGeo Board to present the open letter