From: Mark Reichardt [mreicha...@opengeospatial.org]
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2015 5:18 PM
To: bo...@lists.osgeo.org; Suchith Anand
Cc: ssimm...@opengeospatial.org
Subject: RE: Open Letter to ASPRS, Esri and OGC related to fragmentation of the
LiDAR Open Format

Dear Members of the OSGeo Board, Dr Anand:

Thank you for your letter on behalf of the open source community highlighting
need for interoperability in LIDAR standards.  In recent months there has been
a growing interest from the OGC membership and the global geospatial community
in the  interoperability of point cloud data, including LIDAR. As result, the
OGC scheduled a Point Cloud ad hoc meeting on this topic as part of our
upcoming Technical Committee meetings in Boulder, Colorado, USA.  The meeting
will occur on 1 June from 1300-1445 Mountain / 1900-2045 UTC, and is open to
the public. We hope that this meeting will result in a chartered working group
in short order. An initial agenda for this meeting is posted at:
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=63241, and additional
detail on the Boulder TC meeting is available at:
http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1506tc.   Remote access to the meeting will
be provided.

To ensure broad community representation and effective exchange of ideas, we
strongly encourage interested members of the OSGeo to participate in the
upcoming OGC Point Cloud ad hoc meeting for technical discussion on LIDAR and
other related point cloud standards interoperability interests. This process is
guided by OGC’s consensus process, which help to ensure an environment of
mutual respect and trust in which technical ideas for interoperability can be
exchanged freely and fairly.  We understand that representatives from the ASPRS
will also participating in the meeting as part of our ongoing partnership with
this organization.

Some time ago, a Memorandum of Understanding was formalized between OSGeo and
the OGC with a goal of improving  communication and coordination between our
organizations.  In the spirit of this agreement, we look forward to further
developing our working relationship to address geospatial interoperability
opportunities and challenges.

The OGC staff contact for the Point Cloud ad hoc meeting is Scott Simmons,
Executive Director for the OGC Standards Program
ssimm...@opengeospatial.org<mailto:ssimm...@opengeospatial.org>. Please contact
him directly for further information on the meeting.

Sincerely,
Mark

Mark E. Reichardt
President & CEO