@Peter
From the discussion I take away the impression that Cameron et al have tried to
keep the conversation going and not close any doors. You have called that word
smithing, which raises a proverbial eyebrow.
The fact that you have just turned it into a take it or leave it deal, is not
conducive to a potential win-win.
I appreciate your frankness, however.
The role of PI is clear; the one who holds the purse strings has the power.
Something most developers are familiar with.

As a volunteer I am happy to give time and brain cells to our mission.
Attracting interest, creating adoption, acquire funds for our projects support
(shout out to Jody and Arnulf/LOCBonn) for your project that has this form of
dependency on a single person is not "my-itch". Scratching it would make
ultimately you(r ambitions) better-off, not the inclusive participative culture
of the community at large.

@Patrick
No disagreement with the daunting task this world faces (I do not want to leave
a mess for my children, nor ruin the globe, which we IMHO only borrow).
But if we justify the means by the end(picture) it gets tricky. To be invited
by a benevolent dictator to be part of the solution seems less of an appealing
proposition. I propose we all go about it in more incremental steps.
Academia and OSGeo go well together. Geo4All for example. But here I see two
cultures clash. And one has held a door open.

Vriendelijke groet,
Marc Vloemans