Thanks, Peter, for the interesting opinions, but I see them as further
divergence into other matters, not a discussion of my statement.

I'd love to discuss all issues you mention some time. Did I ever tell
you I owe my professor position to my open source contributions? Are
there others on this list with similar experiences?

--
Edzer Pebesma
Institute for Geoinformatics  (ifgi),  University of Münster