Andrea,
This is a brilliant idea! How about putting up a web page that let tourists and
others know exactly how they can contribute and how precious their
participation is. I might also suggest getting the word out to High Schools
too! Those students would love to become part of this communal effort. Maybe
with some recognition for the school that does the most. If there is something
you think NASA can do to help, let me know.
-Patrick

P.S.: ESA has standardized on Web World Wind.
So building an interface with that might be fun and easily integrate
Copernicus/Sentinel data!
By way of example for ease of development, here are some web apps,
built by pairs of NASA Interns in less than two-months!
And they hadn’t written a line of JavaScript before their summer here.
https://github.com/NASAWorldWindResearch

And ESA apps using ESA-NASA Web World Wind:
Sentinel App]Get the Sentinel App for
iOS<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/esa-sentinel/id1036738151>

Sentinel App]Get the Sentinel App for
Android<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=esa.sentinel>