Dear colleagues,

The U.S. Agency for International Development is offering prize money for ways
to combat the fall armyworm, a crop-eating pest that has spread across
sub-Saharan Africa.

The USAID warned last week the pests threaten the livelihood of millions of
African farmers.“It is targeting maize, a vital staple crop for many families
in Africa, and we are calling up on our partners to mobilize their solutions to
work with us to control fall armyworms,” said Regina Eddy, coordinator of the
Fall Armyworm Task Force at the USAID Bureau of Food Security.

The agency is offering a prize of $150,000 for the most viable solution, two
awards of $75,000 to the "most promising" solutions, and two awards of $50,000
to an "early stage" solution that shows the most potential.

More details at

https://www.voanews.com/a/usaid-offering-prize-money-to-combat-fall-armyworm-in-africa/4364446.html

I request Geospatial and RS community colleagues to contribute their expertise
for this.

Best wishes,

Suchith

PS: There is some amazing work done already by Ron Fortunato and colleagues at
GeoForAll lab team at AWorldBridge on this. I thank them for their exceptional
determination and efforts in contributing technical excellence and substantive
achievements to assisting small-holder farmers in Africa in managing the Fall
Armyworm through the Fall Armyworm Monitoring & Early Warning System mobile app
.  They built this for  the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)  of the
United Nations. More details at
https://www.osgeo.org/foundation-news/aworldbridge-geoforall-lab-delivers-for-the-food-and-agriculture-organization-fao-in-africa/

attachment.

where permitted by law.