Hi All from California, USA -

  today I see a call to vote on moderators at Openstreetmap USA. The link goes to

https://www.openstreetmap.org/login

  You can see that OSM USA appears to cooperate for "federated login" (sharing credential mechanisms) via *OpenID*.

  Secondly it seems that OSM USA is a client to some larger AUTHs, for example *Facebook*.

  as a user of *OSGeo ID AUTH*, I support a model where OSGeo owns and runs AUTH, and can share with other organizations on a case-by-case basis.. this is the model of the OpenID system (as I understand it).

  It is my opinion that being a client of centralized AUTH, such as Facebook, is the wrong road for OSGeo dot org. The relationship there is a client relationship such that information and control are passed one-way, and there is very little growth on the OSGeo side over time, while  central AUTH becomes stronger.

  I believe in OSGeo dot org long-term, and wish to see OSGeo own and operate AUTH for its own purposes, independent of centralized services such as Facebook.

  sincerely

    --Brian M Hamlin    /  MAPLABS  /  OSGeoLive PSC