Dear colleagues,

The African Association of Universities (a University Association counting over
400 Universities across the African Continent), the University of Nottingham
and the Ethical Data Initiative launched the Campaign for Data Ethics in
Education with a successful online event this week.

The event, a panel discussion on Data Ethics Policy in Higher Education, was
streamed live on AAU TV.  More information on the panel is at
https://ethicaldatainitiative.org/2023/05/12/data-ethics-policy-in-higher-education/

The lively panel discussion took place between African experts in International
Development, Data Science, Technology and Education, and touched on important
questions such as:

  *   Who owns our data? Who benefits from our data?
  *   How we might avoid the pitfalls of feudalism and colonialism in this new
and constantly evolving landscape.
  *   Whether, and why, it might be time for data ethics to become an integral
part of the education curriculum in schools and universities.
  *   How can we can build capacity for Data Ethics in universities and
industry.

The recording of the event is available to watch at
https://ethicaldatainitiative.org/2023/05/26/successful-launch-to-the-campaign-for-data-ethics-in-education/

The Ethical Data Initiative were delighted to be invited to partner with the
African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD)  to deliver Data Ethics
training to over 50 data science faculty and PhD supervisors from its
consortium of over 20 universities across Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya. The
course took place from 2-15 May, 2023. The graduate studies supervisor course
aimed not only to teach key fundamentals of Masters and PhD research
supervision, but also to equip attendees with up-to-date and relevant
information to address the challenges of supervising data science postgraduate
courses in the modern age.

Details at
https://ethicaldatainitiative.org/2023/05/18/data-ethics-and-rri-faculty-training-in-aicad-universities/

With hundreds of universities across the world already supporting our Campaign
for Data Ethics in Higher Education, there is huge momentum building.

If you are working towards, or planning on working towards, including Data
Ethics in your university curriculum – or are planning on expanding your
current offering – we would like to hear from you. Please contact
kathryn.bai...@ethicaldatainitiative.org<mailto:kathryn.bai...@ethicaldatainitiative.org>

Best wishes

Suchith

Dr Suchith Anand

Senior Adviser to Governments and International Organisations | Scientist |
Board member | Governance | Policy | Consultant in Data Science and Data Ethics
| Global Citizen | SDG Volunteer and Advocate

https://council.science/profile/suchith-anand/

https://www.rd-alliance.org/users/suchith-anand

https://ethicaldatainitiative.org

attachment.