Michael Scott wrote:

I'm still working on scripts to rip my CD collection to my server.
I am seriously considering using flac as my tests show that it comes back to the
same as the original WAV file and is about 50% smaller.

It looks like I can pipe the output of cdparanoia directly into flac and encode
"on the fly".  That simplifies things a bit.

I also understand that flac supports tagging. The manpage for metaflac is
somewhat terse so I was wondering, what tags should I insert (metaflac commands
would be helpful as I'm still new to this)? I'm using CDDB-get.pm to grab the
CD data from freedb.org so I have the info, just need to know preferred format
for placing it into the flac file after it's ripped.

You are running Linux I assume? Then you can use grip to rip your CDs to flac and it will also populate the tags from CDDB. The nice thing about grip is that you can set it to rip automatically when you insert a new CD which makes ripping a whole lot easier. For tag editing I am using EasyTAG.

Avi

--
Avi Schwartz
http://public.xdi.org/=avi.schwartz