I think if they are distributing the code outside their organization
(whether selling it or allowing download), they have to make their
source available upon request (by anyone).  Even if they only have to
make it available to customers, it must be supplied under the GPL,
which would allow those customers to pass it on.  So if they actually
made any useful modifications to slimserver, we can all benefit from
them regardless of whether we are customers.