Thanks for your help.

I know that lame is not installed on my system (Windows 2000) - I have had
an error message informing me of this  when attempting to convert flac to
mp3 streaming (in order to see if flac/mp3 conversion would work after
flac/wav streaming didn't work).

My impression is that I should be able to play flac files as a wav stream
(without converting to mp3).

Wav File Format - Wav Stream Format is built in to Slimserver (File
Types|File Format Conversion Setup)

I did try softsqueeze - I wasn't able to install it. I double-clicked on
softsqueeze.jnlp - Java Webstart came up with an error message 'Unable to
launch the specified application'

(An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Category: Launch File Error

The field <jnlp>codebase has an invalid value: http://[% host
%]/html/softsqueeze/)

I didn't pursue this any further (I launched softsqueeze.jnlp from C:\test
- was this the wrong thing to do?)

If I get a Squeezebox I will want to stream my flac collection. To do this
I will need to get familiar with Slimserver. Apart from streaming mp3
(which I don't need), I'm not having much luck.