On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 14:14 -0800, Phil Karn wrote:
> I think the PCM skipping (buffer underflow) problem could be
> substantially improved if a little attention were paid to thread
> priority and CPU scheduling in the server.

Of course, and using a faster CPU with more memory helps as well.
But Phil, havn't you also complained that the SlimServer is not
stable enough? The 5.* codebase was not suitable for doing a lot
of things, like improving handling of meta data (songs, composer,
orchestra, etc.) as well as not being well designed for splitting
into separate processes/threads so that "thread priority" can be
managed. There is essentially only one big thread in the 5.* code.

Part of the push to 6.* was to pull the parts into separate parts
so that later versions could be more rational about threads, processes
and multi-processor support.

Reminds me of how God was able to build the universe in only
six days --- no installed base.

SlimDevices is a little firm making cool hardware. I can deal with that.

Pat

--
Pat Farrell                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pfarrell.com