I don't remember the exact command, but something like id3v2 -l 11_*.flac came back:

11_Frogs.flac

No tags found

Or something like that.  Most of these files (they're all flac) were ripped/tagged with dbPowerAMP and slimserver seems to be able to pull them out.  So i just figured this tool (id3v2) was having issues reading them.