Does anyone have suggestions on what volume level the SB should be set
to for best quality audio output.  I intuitively thought to just keep
it at the max and use the receiver's volume control to adjust.  But I
was messing around with it and it seemed to sound better at about
50%-60% of max.

Is there a general recommendation on the best volume level?

The second question was on the buffer.   I have a lot of high bit-rate
MP3 vbr encoded files that are around 280 kbs or more.  I don't have
dropouts, but  when I enabled the buffer view in the player, those
files mostly  ran the buffer at 99% to 100%.  Is that a bad thing?
Should I limit the bit-rate to get the buffer usage down?

If anyone has insights on these questions, please share them. Thanks.