-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Michael
Herger
Sent: 29 March 2005 09:12
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: Re: [slim] Unable to run slimserver 6.0.0 on linux as user
otherthanroot

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:36:40 +0100, Patrick Dixon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I had this with FC3 and filed it as bug 1085.
>
> I ran the RPM installation as 'root' and so it created the slimserver.db
> and
> slimserversql.db files in /root/ and the cachedir at
> /root/usr/local/slimserver/..

Hmm... the rpm should create a user "slimserver" and install the script to
run using this user. Have you ever tried to remove everything slimserver
related (rpm, ~/.slimserver.pref, /etc/slim*) and reinstalling the rpm
 from scratch? When slimserver is started for the first time it will create
the configuration file (where the path to db & cie. is stored) with the
user's permission. I guess you ran it the very first time as user root
which created the wrong paths.

> I had to change permissions on /root/ and on the browser chchedirs so
> that any user could access them.

...and that's definitely not what you wanted to do :-/

> Patrick

Michael