I’m not entirely sure if this is how it’s working, but I directed slimserver to look for artwork in the folder in which my library software keeps images, and once slimserver correctly identified the albums, it connected the artwork.  Artwork is called artist - albumname.jpg.  In JRiver, I was able to tell it to find artwork for my albums once I had it parse the filenames, and I also had a bunch of artwork already from when I was using a slink-e and megachangers.  So artwork seems not to be a problem.

From: Natan & Nicki Tiefenbrun [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:19 PM
To: discuss@lists.slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Maintaining a large library of WAV files - artwork, tagging,

Thanks for all the feedback.

Assuming I do go with the directory & filename structure instead of tags, is there an application that will scan my WAVs & dump artwork into the appropriate folders so that SlimServer & Telcanto will display it?

Any ideas when/if SlimServer might support MusicMatch’s database – I really like the SuperTagging. Incidentally, I think it’s adding some kind of tagging to the WAV files, as SlimServer is picking up some of the info (including artwork) but somehow confusing the tags & artwork between tracks/albums. Guess that’s to be expected with a non-standard tag implementation in WAV. But the MusicMatch library is representing all the info correctly, so if SlimServer could use this library, that would be a useful combination.

Regarding using FLAC instead of WAV – I can actually hear a substantial difference between the two. I’m currently using the original Squeezebox, so I assume I’m relying on my PC to uncompress the FLAC and stream as PCM/WAV? I’m still a touch confused by all the options surrounding this. I’ve got a SqueezeBox2 on order, so I understand I’ll then be able to stream FLAC and have the SqueezeBox un-compress (inflate?) back to PCM/WAV before feeding my hifi. Should I expect this to make a difference to audio quality? Which music library apps support FLAC & will help with tagging – I don’t think either iTunes or MusicMatch do?

Thanks again.