Phil Karn wrote:
PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

With all this information, how do you explain that I've got a wired squezeboxG and a 100mb switched environment, all FLACs, that play all day long with no skips or dropouts, all powered from a lowly PIII 800Mhz box with 512mb of ram and 4x250gb drives, all LVM'd together for about 1tb of space? Your machine is definitely got more "oomph" than mine, yet I've got no problems.
I had a party a couple weeks ago, and using the latest nightly of the 5.4.1 branch (don't remember the day - maybe 3/11?) without a single problem.

Well, I can think of a couple of explanations. For one thing, I was running 5.4.0, not 5.4.1, until I switched just now to 6.0.0 to make my SB2 work.

Another possibility may be that I expect to do other substantial things with my Linux box besides running Slimserver. That's why careful attention to thread prioritization is important. If the machine never has to do anything else, priority settings don't matter much.

Phil

heh... my machine is doing a lot more than yours and I never have skips. The key issue here is streaming FLAC, IMHO, exacerbated by the size of your library. My ears aren't good enough to tell the difference, so I play MP3 and a few OGGs. I wonder if you still see dropouts when transcoding? I bet that even with the increased CPU load of running the lame process, it would still come out performing better than you have now.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!