2005-03-30-16:50:31 Robert Boltman:
> Another thought I had was to use the digital output and then an d-to-a
> - perhaps a cheap amp with digital in and a tape loop. Would that
> isolate it?

If you use the Toslink (optical) digital output from the SB, that'd
definitely isolate it from the next component -- no electrical
connection at all, thus no ground loops or whatever other nasties.

I'm still curious about what's causing the problem, though -- if that
particular SB1 sample is prone to noise leakage, or if there's a ground
loop (is the SB using wired ether, connected to other equipment powered
from a different hunk of your mains?) or some kind of RF pickup...
Here's where my ignorance shows, do ethernet connections routinely have
any sort of optical or transformer isolation?

If you choose the digital-out method, the question becomes what to have
have your powered speakers plugged into, but standalone DACs, as things
largely bought by highfalutin' audiophiles, might mostly be unexpectedly
expensive.  A/V receivers (plenty of sales volume at the low end of the
market) have gotten shockingly cheap these days -- but that could be a
bulky rig for your bedside table, and one would usually expect to plug
passive speakers into one.  I guess you were talking about using a line
out from one such, basically just to get the use of the DAC.  Better
confirm that that works properly with the particular model you
consider.