On Apr 1, 2005 3:45 PM, Jack Coates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Free Lunch wrote:
> > Hi,
> say, sure does take you a long time to get information out of your
> disk... hdparm -tT /dev/[your-music-disk] please?

I think you're on the wrong track.  I am very picky about disk performance ;-)

First, this is unique to 6.X. Playlist sorting performance is poor in
5.4.1 but not nearly this bad.

First, the vmstat output shows the CPU being burned in User space, not
system. Waiting on disk would typically be shown as Sys or wait time.
The amount of CPU time spent in user space suggests some serious code
churn.

Regardless, it takes no time at all to stat(3) every music file in
that list. Of course accessing the disk should be unnecessary since
we're just re-sorting an in-memory playlist - right?

The system can stat every file in the playlist in just over a tenth of
a second. It is worth noting that the time to sort the playlist does
not improve with subsequent attempts (the disk caching makes no
difference).  The file metadata is all in cache:

% time ls -lR  >/dev/null
0.082u 0.041s 0:00.13 92.3%     0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

% ls -lR  | wc
   8476   62685  580699

/dev/hde1:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.43 seconds =299.11 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.15 seconds = 55.52 MB/sec

Thank you for your response,

   FL