How serious exactly is this problem? Is it it restricted to a
particular manufacturer or is it widespread?

I'm in the UK and I have a SB2 that has a MAC address of
00:04:20:05:A1:33 so I assume it would be affected by this issue.

I'm using the coax digital out at the moment and it works with my
current equipment, however, I had been planning to upgrade at some
point this year. I would be a little disappointed if my SB2 then
didn't work properly.

Should I return it?

Richard