> or alternatively, don't do a complete
>recheck until the size of the main folder has stabilised for a certain
>duration ? (maybe that's what the setting does?)

No, the scan just checks for the modified time changing on the XML file.

This seems like a really sensible suggestion as the user's iTunes
activity is likely to come in bursts when adding tracks or modifying
tags. I'd suggest opening this as an enhancement request...

>Actually - I'm curious now - doesn't the perl script simply check the
>iTunes cached file tables for changes, or is it plowing through all the
>subfiles on the disk ? Can I make it do just the former if it's doing
>the latter ?

The scan checks the iTunes XML file.
As I understand it, any new tracks are added to the database and the
file scanned for tag info
(the XML does not contain all the tags SlimServer requires - which ones
are missing I wonder?)
If a track is already in the database it is ignored unless the file
modified time has changed.
This is actually pretty quick if 99% of your library has not changed.

What I find kills SlimServer performance is scanning of the playlists -
I have a number of thousand+ track playlists and when they are scanned
is when I lose connectivity.
One enhancement already suggested is reading only selected playlists
from the XML.

>Another thought - on the mac platform, wouldn't it be possible to
listen
>for applescript notices/events or something to know when itunes is in
>process of ripping or itunes-LAME is doing it's thing, and suspend any
>synchronization until the end of the process ?

The Slim developers like all the core functionality to be cross platform
so I doubt that would be favoured.

James