That's not exactly true. With the default setting, SlimServer will wait a minimum of 60 seconds after ending an import of your iTunes library before starting a new one. If your library is very large and you are ripping for a long time, you may see that the iTunes importing is running most of the time.

You can adjust the delay in the server settings to make it wait longer, but the downside is that YOU have to wait longer to see new songs in your library.

-dean

On Apr 26, 2005, at 2:36 AM, Craig, James (IT) wrote:

Have you changed the default iTunes library scan interval?
With it set to the default of 60s, SlimServer will be scanning the
iTunes library constantly while you are ripping.

James

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of gocam
Sent: 26 April 2005 10:03
To: discuss@lists.slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] iTunes / OSX / Mac Mini / Ripping = yikes

Perhaps I am expecting too much in which case please feel free to say so
! I'm a longtime happy slim owner - up until recently I've run the 5.4
server on a martian netdrive (low power linux box), but, for closer
integration with itunes and my ipod etc, I've decided to experiment
with putting the server on my new mac mini, where I also intended doing
the ripping from within iTunes using blacktree's lame plugin. I have a
slimp3 and a SB1. 6.x releases on my martian seemed to crash a lot when
trying to open radio streams, so now seemed a good time to move across,
and I also took opportunity to copy music from my 10/100-only
accessible Martian to an external firewire drive.

So far so good - after remembering to open both ports on my mini's
firewall (original slimp3 only needed 9000, hence much confusion on my
part) and installing 6.0.2, setting iTunes to look to music I've placed
on external firewire drive all works nicely. Live search is great ! (but
doesn't work in Camino yet?)

OK - now I figured I'd test the end-to-end workflow, ripping a CD and
observing it turning up in itunes and slim with no extra copying. And
it works ! Yay. But, while ripping it basically seems impossible to do
anything with my slims whatsoever. In fact, they both blackout and lose
connection sporadically as the rip progresses, I _think_ coordinated
with the write of file and tag info - is this simply because the itunes
communication with the server is thrashing during the encode ? Is there
anything I can do here ? Anyone in same boat ? I'd expected that if I
was listening that the rip perhaps would go more slowly but that the
server would still be able to serve with a reasonable 'nice' level but
no can do it seems - moreover I even lose the displays completely.

This all makes me a little worried that my mini is not going to work
out as a server if it's doing anything else which is a tad disturbing
given that it's a 1.42GHz with a gig of memory and using external fast
firewire drive.

Am I missing some way of optimising my setup and workflow? I'm also
very curious about other mini owner's experiences of running the server
- I'm almost contemplating sticking an old laptop on the network ONLY to
act as a music server, to be honest....

Thanks for a great product, despite my grips above! and for all the
superb support,
-g.

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.