I have a SS 6.1.x nightly running on FC3 AMD64 (x86_64), and I'm happy
to report it works well.  It was simply a matter of running
Bin/build-perl-modules.pl before starting the server.  The result was a
CPAN/arch/5.8.5/x86_64-linux-thread-multi directory.

Should I tgz that tree and post it as enhancement?