pasodoble Wrote:
> Is there such a thing in terms of functionality? I'd love to pause
> internet radio streams and record them for later listening.

You can't do this with the Squeezebox SlimServer software.  And I don't
know of any software that will automatically start recording when you
hit pause, and then play from the recording when you unpause.  (Great
idea though.  See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=9932)

What you can do is use other software to automatically record sound
files that the Squeezebox will find and make available through its
menus.  Then you can listen to the recordings and pause and resume at
will.  There are two approaches to this.

The older VCR-style way is to use a program that records streaming
Internet audio based on a schedule you set up.  You have to figure out
which time blocks you want to record and from what radio station feeds,
and enter that into the program.  Do an Internet search for terms like
"streaming audio recorder VCR timer".  The advantage of this approach
is you can record whatever content you want, though this happens in
real time.  (It takes one hour to record a one hour show.)

The newer Tivo-like way is to use podcasting.  A podcast is like a
radio show with episodes that can be downloaded at any time for later
playback.  Podcasting software automatically determines when new
episodes are ready and downloads them.  Do an Internet search for
"podcasting".

Podcasting is presumably easier to manage, but because it is new there
aren't that many shows available.  It also doesn't work well for
continuously playing radio stations.

I just started using iPodder to download talk programs from public
radio, which are automatically put into iTunes under a playlist.
(http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/index.php,
http://www.publicradiofan.com/podcasts.html)

--
madcat