"PAUL WILLIAMSON" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> They haven't turned a profit yet?  I'm surprised.

I'm not sure if it was the CEO, the competition, or the business model, but
the CEO's taken a lesser position.  They need a standalone hi-def unit, for
one thing - needed it a while back, before the cable companies came out with
their own, and then fixed the rampant bugs that Tivo could've beat them over
the head with.  Their advertising has never really gotten the point across,
either.  The new deal with Comcast should help, even though they're not
getting a ton of money per unit per month, it should be a lot of units.

> I heard recently
> that they sued a couple of the big networks because there was
> diaglog containing "tivoing" shows.  They get free advertising,
> but they view it as copyright infringement.  Ironic.

I hadn't heard that, but I'd be very surprised it that's true - I think a
couple years back, they would put on-air mentions in their newsletters, so
that would be quite a change of pace for them.

Ed