On 5/13/05, Christian Pernegger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > you can download unprotected music for a fee,
>
> "Legally"? Where?

eMusic sells downloads of non-DRMed MP3 files, though I dunno if
that's available from outside the US.

Also, more interestingly, there's http://www.audiolunchbox.com which
sells music (apparently worldwide) in unrestricted MP3 *and* Ogg
Vorbis formats.  If they would start selling FLAC files, I might
actually start buying from them regularly, especially since I see they
have the new Magnolia Electric Company and Architecture in Helsinki
albums.  I'm still too much of a sucker for the physical purchase of a
CD with its usage as a backup and its liner notes and whatnot, though.

I'm sure you could find other individual labels and whatnot that sell
their stuff in an unrestricted format.  A decent number of UK labels
sell unrestricted MP3s through playloudershop.com

None of these are trying to live in that dodgy legal greyarea that one
certain Russian site is inhabiting.

If I were going to buy a lot of digital downloads, I'd definitely be
after a non-DRM solution just to make it as future-proof as possible.
I'd probably transcode a lossy file into FLAC just so that it's in a
completely open format (wouldn't change the sound quality) and put it
in my archive backups.  But that's just me being anal.

But, like, philosphically speaking, it's whatever floats your boat.  I
did a trial of Raphsody when I got my cable modem, and I just didn't
find that there was enough music that I liked for me to keep paying
them month after month.  But if people like Christian would like for
the market to reject DRM, then I guess the best way is to turn as many
people onto the the *legal* DRM-free purchase sites, that way everyone
votes with their wallet.

-Steve