ModelCitizen Wrote:
> Thanks for the replies all.
> Robin (I'm fine, if a little frustrated... how's life up North?),

Oh, not so bad. I've unfortunately got a 1 hour commute to/from Leeds
either end of the day so that's not good. I've been stupidly busy at
work too - steep learning curve, getting to grips with the working
practices/foibles, etc. Not had much time to listen to music "properly"
but listening a lot to iPod in car.
ModelCitizen Wrote:

> the box that bloke made is noisy, so no good for my lounge. Also I do
> not want to be the first person in the UK to use their mains wiring for
> this stuff... so, thanks for the suggestions but I think the solutions
> are probably not for me.

Why not buy a set and if it doesn't work/is not to your liking, return
it within 7/14 days (whatever)? I can't believe they'd sell something
that doesn't work and, if it doesn't, you're entitled to your money
back anyway!
ModelCitizen Wrote:

> I'm was beginning to think that a hacked Buffalo Link Station thingy
> (or a Lacie RAS) might be the best option. However, I am not Linux
> conversant and the cut down version of Linux that comes with the box is
> solely command line driven (I think) so it's probably not really a goer
> (not if i want a life anyway).

Based on the little I know of you, I'd steer clear of Linux :)
ModelCitizen Wrote:

> I am going to buy a Squeezebox 2 and flog my old Squeezebox but I can't
> imagine that this will stream PCM much better then the Squeezebox 1 does
> (bearing in mind that all connections are currently independently
> wireless... i.e. file server, Slimserver and Squeezebox), but I guess
> I'll give it a go first.

Well, if you're using 11g you should get much better streaming,
assuming a good connection.

ModelCitizen Wrote:

> I can't wire the Squeezebox into my router elegantly (the rented house
> I'm in looks lovely, lotsa oak beams etc and it would be a shame to
> ruin it's looks by looping cables across  the lounge).... but I have
> realised I have a spare 300gb USB firewire drive... so I am considering
> putting all my music on that, pluging it into the laptop (which usually
> quite close to my router/hub) and wiring the laptop directly in to the
> hub. Makes the laptop a bit less mobile but could possibly suit my
> needs for now. Only problem with this is that the Maxtor firewire drive
> is pretty flakey.  We shall see.
>
> Anyway. Thanks for the help with this.
I still think you should give the SMC mains stuff a go. You could put
your noisy server out of the way and create a mains connection between
that and your ADSL modem/Switch/WAP, then just let the SB connect
wirelessly to the WAP. That seems to me to be the perfect solution -
you just need to bite the bullet on the mains networking equipment.
Like I said, I might even give it a go myself...

R.

--
robinbowes