kdf Wrote:
> and would you be happy if slimserver then chose Abba as the standard
> display?
> or should all artists be all caps so that you get ABBA no matter what?
> Server
> prefs perhaps, but then what if you have a mix? Do you want to waste
> resources
> having slimserver processing everything by looking it up from cddb so
> that the
> proper case is used?  What is the point of tagging if the server is
> expected to
> twist it all magically into something that isn't in the tags?
>
> Why can't you fix your tags?

Display the first one returned by the query.  You're right in that
SlimServer has no way of knowing which is "correct".  If the string
displayed doesn't sit right with the user, only _then_ should he have
to fiddle with the tags.  The display question is less important than
the idea that SlimServer should be case insensitive when it comes to
deciding what to consider a distinct artist, album, etc.  I can't think
of a reason (maybe someone will give one) where you'd want "abba" to be
considered different than "Abba".  If there's no good reason to keep
the current behavior then it should probably be changed to operate as
most people would expect.

I'll make the same argument that the articles dropped for sorting
purposes should also be dropped for the purposes of determining
distinct artist names.  "The Grateful Dead" should be equivalent to
"Grateful Dead" and shouldn't require someone to retag files just to
get that behavior.

As far as implementation goes, there's already a case insensitive
column with the leading articles removed in the 'contributors' table
('namesort'), so why not just do lookups on that column in the SQL
statements when cataloging tracks or when browsing by artist?  Display
the mixed case 'name' column.

--
JJZolx