On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 11:42, Pat Farrell wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 09:40 -0700, Matthew Hodgskiss wrote:
>
> > http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3
> >
> > However i'm not sure what to use for localhost. My ISP
> > IP address is 81.100.21.105, however my slim server
> > runs on a PC on my network with IP 192.168.0.3
>
> use http://192.168.0.3:9000/stream.mp3
>
> The documentation uses "localhost" to mean
> whatever host your slimserver is running on.

Except that 192.168.0.3 is a private non-routable IP address.
If you want the slimserver to be seen outside of your private network,
you will have to to the following things.

1.  Read security FAQs telling you why this is a really bad idea
2.  Hope your ISP will allow this traffic
3.  Configure your router to forward port 90, then your slimserver will
appear as http://81.100.21.105:9000/stream.mp3
4.  Read again why this is not a good idea

Seriously, you may be opening up your computer to hacks by exposing this
port to the wild.  Also, if your IP has not assigned a static IP
address, then whenever they decide to change it, your server will use
the new address.
--
- Mike Scott
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]