On 3/6/05 at 4:49 pm -0700, NHGuy wrote
The Sony betamax, (I'm revealing my age now) was a much superior product
to the VHS tape, but for whatever reason got completly overtaken by VHS.
This is going to happen to Simdevices.
The market will buy ROKU, Pinnacle systems, etc. because it's on the
Rhapsody website and has "playforsure" on the packaging.
It will be a shame for the superior product(slimdevice)to go bellyup.
If the CEO would say "we are working our butts off to get compatible
because the future of the company is at stake", you wouldn't heard peep
out of me.

Mac and Linux are minority offerings, but they haven't been pushed out of the market, and I doubt if they ever will.

If all one wants is to play MP3s on a Windows machine, which may well be the majority need, I suspect that some of the other devices are more suitable than the Squeezebox. But Rhapsody, PlayforSure, etc., aren't, as far as I am aware, even available on Mac OS or Linux, so they aren't relevant to a good number of people.

Is Roku really a big company? Can they afford so much more advertising than Slimdevices? I know it annoys me to see so many ads (and mentions by dealers) for Roku in the Mac magazines.

--
Daniel Cohen