I can't help wondering as I read all these posts: exactly why do you
have 24bit/96khz recordings taking up all that space on your hard
drive? While I can (somewhat) understand having 24bit recordings
(especially if you are doing some type of DSP processing before
listening), I have no idea why you'd store your music in 96khz.

ABX listening testing has determined time and time again that --no one-
can tell the difference between a 96khz recording and a 48khz recording.
In fact its -extremely- rare that anyone can tell the difference between
a 16bit/44khz recording and a higher order recording.

The only reasons (I can think of) to have a higher order recording
would be to either do editing or processing of the music (in which case
you'd be better of using floating point 32bit anyway) or as an archival
format (with the hope that some future sound reproduction technology
will allow you to by-pass your ears... perhaps plug straight into your
brain?).

Might be worth reading this if you think that you can hear a difference
between (properly encoded) 16/44 and 24/96 or 24/48 recordings:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=9311

Just my $0.02.

Hope this isn't too off topic,

ss.