> I planned to have a cron job to shut down the server every night.  As
> someone's already said, the problem here is working out when to do
> this.  However, I'd just go for midnight on weekdays, and maybe 2am on
> Saturdays.  For the rare exceptions, I'd have to remember to disable
> the cron.

Just a tip: alter your cronjob to check for presence of a "flag" (maybe
a specific file). If it isn't there, don't shut down, but only set this
flag (create the file). This way, if you want to prevent the server from
shutting down on an evening, you just clear the flag (remove the file). The
machine won't shut down, but only restores the flag so it will shut down
next night again.

Niek.