Using Squeezebox 1 with Mandrake

After installing SlimServer 6.0, I experience poor performance and
random crashes.  I know it upgraded the firmware on the squeezebox from
something (39 likely) to 40.  After deciding I wanted to go back to 5.4
because I never experienced any problems ever, I did that.  Now,
anytime we jump to Shuffle play, SlimServer crashes and music stops.
This happens on playlists or on an album.  Since I went back to 5.4,
I've also installed (not upgrade) Mandriva 2005 LE with hopes that
might fix things since it is starting from scratch.  I've also tried
SlimServer 6.02 now and I still have problems.

Is there something about firmware 40 that is causing this?  Is it
possible to go back to 39 and if so, how?

--
Rockin