Thankfully very little of the music I care about comes from labels who
treat their loyal customers like criminals, but for that little which
does, well let them spend their money on snake oil. It doesn't work, it
can't work, and it won't work.

IMHO the american market is still very free compared to the european. Most labels over here add copy protection. And I won't buy one single protected CD.

A while back I ordered a disc directly from the US as I did not expect it to appear on the european (swiss) market. I had rarely seen this artist's work in Switzerland's music stores. But I was wrong: A few months later it was in local shops - copy protected! Labels don't treat us all the same...

I recently asked myself whether labels are actually creeping back. There are more and more unprotected CDs whose precursor were protected.

--

Michael