I'm wondering how to run Slimserver on a read-only system under Linux
for more reliable headless and appliance-like operation.

I have installed two headless Linux based Slimserver systems (with
squeezebox), one for my folks and more recently for a  friend.. I've
been really lucky that there have been no issues with my folks' system
(going on 6 months).

My friend's system thad a storm related power outage within two weeks
of the install and is currently down (SB can't reach server).  I
assume it is due to an FSCK issue.  I'll be out there next weekend to
fix it and hopefully implement some hardening features.

I would like to run All file systems read only to avoid this in the
future.  But I'm not sure how I can do that with slimserver.

Slimserver updates the .slimserver.pref  EVERY time the song changes.

These systems are based on disk installs of Knoppix (aka Debian).
Since I'm not running off of CDROM, I expect it will be difficult to
convince debian to run in a ramdisk.  All filesystems are
EXT3.  I will modify the mounts to include 'noatime'.

For slimserver, I'm thinking of re-mkfs'ing the home directory at boot
time, mounting it and then
copying the slim db, config files, etc.  One issue is loss of
playlists, etc.  I suppose I could implement a cron job to update the
master read-only copies once per day.

Anyone have any ideas or done any work on this?

Thanks!

   FL