Michael Amster Wrote:
> I have been going through my collection of about 430 albums with EasyTag
>
> and correcting to often horrendous job FreeDB does with this
> information.  In going through, I have decided to tag artists last name
>
> first so that search and display is easier.  I know that there has been
>
> some discussion about name vs. display info, but given that the Artist
>
> tag is the main one I use, how do people do the following.  I have a
> number of Jazz Albums by:
>
> Bill Evans Trio
> Bud Powell Trio
> Dave Brubeck Quartet
> Harry Connick, Jr.
>
> I have chosen to put the Artist tag in as:
>
> Evans, Bill Trio
> Powell, Bud Trio
> Brubeck, Dave Quartet
> Connick, Harry Jr.
>
> Any hints on how people handle this same issue with their collections?
>
> My goal is to make this all make sense.  It does not help when you have
>
> people with fake names like Iggy Pop - I guess that become Pop, Iggy -
> have to go back to some record stores to see how they do it...

I don't use "lastname, firstname", as I don't think there's much to be
gained by doing so.  Ironically (I suppose) I do use lastname,
firstname in organizing my CDs on the shelf, but I've never found the
two approaches to conflict in my mind.  With the CDs on my shelves I
treat stage names used by individuals exactly as if they were band
names.

One thing I don't do is distinguish between trios, quartets, quintets,
sextets, etc., etc. formed by an artist, even with such famed groups as
the Bill Evans Trio or the Miles Davis Quintet.  I'd much rather have
all of Miles Davis led work in one place - it's much easier when
browsing by artist, which is my usual approach.

--
JJZolx

Jim