Actually, I already had done.  My last posted attempt is a reworking of
that very script.  :-)  Have you ever tried printing $response?  It
generally doesn't work for me.  Don't waste any time on it though -
I'll have a closer look at things tomorrow.

You don't need $socket->autoflush (1); any more, by the way.  From
cpan: As of VERSION 1.18 all IO::Socket objects have autoflush turned
on by default. This was not the case with earlier releases.

Max

--
max.spicer

The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible
teeth
and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws
but Max stepped into his private boat and waved good-bye