On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Goodsounds <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, what is your take on the CD quality issue?  I personally prefer
> vinyl to plastic based on my listening experiences, but do you think
> that to be unfounded?

Wow. A vinyl fan who is actually open to the possibility that CDs might
actually be better? I think you are the first I've ever seen.

This has been a hotly debated topic ever since the CD came out in the early
80s. This is unfortunate because there's a perfectly good way to settle the
issue scientifically, once and for all.

My reasoning is as follows. The purpose of an audio reproduction system is
to reproduce the original signal as faithfully as possible. It should not
add or take away from that signal in any way. Making a recording sound
"good" is the job of the recording engineer; it is not up to the
reproduction system to modify the engineer's work product in any way.

Ergo, if you can't tell the difference between the original and reproduced
signal, then you can't complain about the quality of that reproduction
system.

So here's what you do. You start with your favorite test signal in analog
form. It can be from any source you like, including a vinyl record; your
choice. You produce a digital version of that signal by running it through a
44.1 kHz 16 bit/sample A/D and D/A, being careful to set the overall analog
gain to exactly unity (0 dB). Now we have two analog signals, one direct
from the input source and the other having been passed through the codec.

Next you construct two audio switches. The first switch, the listener
switch, has two positions labeled simply "A" and "B". The second switch, the
control switch, has four positions and is physically placed so that the
listener can't tell its setting. The control switch affects the behavior of
the listener switch as follows:

1. Positions A and B both play the analog signal.
2. Position A gives the analog signal, position B gives the digital signal.
3. Position B gives the digital signal, position A gives the analog signal.
4. Positions A and B both give the digital signal.

It's important to construct the circuits so the listener has absolutely no
cues as to the setting of the control switch. For example, there must be no
audible switching transients or changes in gain, latency, bandwidth or
phase. This means ensuring there is no perceptible latency in the A/D - D/A
chain.

You can see what comes next. The experimenter randomly chooses a control
switch position. The listener must then determine whether the listener
switch does anything. Note: the listener is NOT asked to determine which
position is analog or digital, or to evaluate which one "sounds" better. He
only has to tell if the switch does anything or not.

You do this a number of times, each time setting the control switch to a
random position determined by a pair of coin tosses (the experimenter should
NOT choose the switch position by himself).

The bottom line is simple. If the listener can't tell with better than
chance accuracy whether his switch actually selects between the original and
digital signal sources, then it is clear that the digital path is not
modifying the signal in any detectable way. And if he can't detect the
difference, he can't claim that the digital system is somehow "worse".

The listener may have other perfectly reasonable reasons to prefer a vinyl
version of a recording over the CD. For example, the mixing and equalization
on the LP might be subjectively better. But that is not something you can
blame on the CD (or digital audio) per se; the fault is the recording
engineer's who prepared the signal given to the CD mastering system.

--Phil