Went through the other thread.  The main difference is the other problem
was consistent whereas the behavior I'm observing seems intermittent.
Still, I think it is plausible that my AV software is possibly
curtailing the creation of temporary directories -- or affecting them
somehow.

Am using AVG 8.0 (free) having been persuaded previously to de-install
Kespersky.  Won't know until I get home whether this version has
options to ignore file certain extensions.

Will advise tomorrow.  In the meantime, thanks for chiming in.

--
ShutterShock