On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 11:11 -0700, Neil Sleightholm wrote:
> If anyone with this problem has time you could try running mplayer
> directly to confirm this is the same problem. The following command
> line will play the live Radio4 stream:
> mplayer -vo null -cache 128
> rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra
>
> I find this this will run for anything from a few seconds to hours but
> eventually the output will be garbled. I think Triode's comment about
> "dynamic rate adaption" is probably true because I find this is worse
> for popular times of the day (Chris Moyles on R1 and the Archers on
> R4).
>
> If there is anyone out there that knows how mplayer works or can debug
> it please feel free to jump in....

I've been meaning to try this for a while so, inspired by your post,
I tried this tonight. After just over 20 minutes the stream became
garbled exactly as I get when listening over Slimserver/Squeezebox.

I then killed and started Mplayer again to unscramble the audio.
According to the headers reported by Mplayer, the bit rates are
the same between the two runs. In both cases:

Opening audio decoder: [realaud] RealAudio decoder
opening shared obj '/usr/lib/win32/cook.so.6.0'
Audio codec: [11] 44 Kbps Stereo Music
Audio bitrate: 44.100 kbit/s (5513 bps)
AUDIO: 22050 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 5513->88200 (44.1 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [racook] afm:realaud (RealAudio COOK)

So, unless it was a bit rate change that lasted no more than a
minute, Mplayer is incorrectly reporting the bitrates, or I'm
incorrectly reading the Mplayer messages, it doesn't look like
a dynamic bit-rate change to me.

However, it does confirm it to be an Mplayer problem, and
nothing to do with AlienBBC/Slim Devices/Squeezebox.

This is using:

MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 9)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes

On:

Linux Eagle 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp #1 SMP Mon Mar 28 01:10:51 EST 2005 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--
"The biggest problem encountered while trying to design a system that
was completely foolproof, was, that people tended to underestimate the