1. ext3

2. no, I don't believe I've made any mods to my my.conf. See below...

3. x86

4. It seems that I can browse by genre, artist, etc just fine. I'm
betting that I don't have all my music in the db, but what is there is
findable in this way.

Code:
--------------------

  # /etc/mysql/my.cnf: The global mysql configuration file.
  # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/dev-db/mysql/files/my.cnf-4.1,v 1.3
2006/05/05 19:51:40 chtekk Exp $

  # The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
  [client]
  #password                                     = your_password
  port                                          = 3306
  socket                                                =
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

  [mysql]
  character-sets-dir=/usr/share/mysql/charsets
  default-character-set=utf8

  [mysqladmin]
  character-sets-dir=/usr/share/mysql/charsets
  default-character-set=utf8

  [mysqlcheck]
  character-sets-dir=/usr/share/mysql/charsets
  default-character-set=utf8

  [mysqldump]
  character-sets-dir=/usr/share/mysql/charsets
  default-character-set=utf8

  [mysqlimport]
  character-sets-dir=/usr/share/mysql/charsets
  default-character-set=utf8

  [mysqlshow]
  character-sets-dir=/usr/share/mysql/charsets
  default-character-set=utf8

  [myisamchk]
  character-sets-dir=/usr/share/mysql/charsets

  [myisampack]
  character-sets-dir=/usr/share/mysql/charsets

  # use [safe_mysqld] with mysql-3
  [mysqld_safe]
  err-log                                               =
/var/log/mysql/mysql.err

  # add a section [mysqld-4.1] or [mysqld-5.0] for specific configurations
  [mysqld]
  character-set-server          = utf8
  default-character-set         = utf8
  user                                          = mysql
  port                                          = 3306
  socket                                                =
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
  pid-file                                      = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
  log-error                                     = /var/log/mysql/mysqld.err
  basedir                                       = /usr
  datadir                                       = /var/lib/mysql
  skip-locking
  key_buffer                                    = 16M
  max_allowed_packet                    = 1M
  table_cache                           = 64
  sort_buffer_size                      = 512K
  net_buffer_length                     = 8K
  read_buffer_size                      = 256K
  read_rnd_buffer_size          = 512K
  myisam_sort_buffer_size       = 8M
  language                                      = /usr/share/mysql/english

  # security:
  # using "localhost" in connects uses sockets by default
  # skip-networking
  #bind-address                         = 127.0.0.1

  log-bin
  server-id                                     = 1

  # point the following paths to different dedicated disks
  tmpdir                                                = /tmp/
  #log-update                           = /path-to-dedicated-directory/hostname

  # you need the debug USE flag enabled to use the following directives,
  # if needed, uncomment them, start the server and issue
  # #tail -f /tmp/mysqld.sql /tmp/mysqld.trace
  # this will show you *exactly* what's happening in your server ;)

  #log                                          = /tmp/mysqld.sql
  #gdb
  #debug                                                =
d:t:i:o,/tmp/mysqld.trace
  #one-thread

  # uncomment the following directives if you are using BDB tables
  #bdb_cache_size                               = 4M
  #bdb_max_lock                         = 10000

  # the following is the InnoDB configuration
  # if you wish to disable innodb instead
  # uncomment just the next line
  #skip-innodb
  #
  # the rest of the innodb config follows:
  # don't eat too much memory, we're trying to be safe on 64Mb boxes
  # you might want to bump this up a bit on boxes with more RAM
  innodb_buffer_pool_size = 16M
  # this is the default, increase it if you have lots of tables
  innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 2M
  #
  # i'd like to use /var/lib/mysql/innodb, but that is seen as a database :-(
  # and upstream wants things to be under /var/lib/mysql/, so that's the route
  # we have to take for the moment
  #innodb_data_home_dir         = /var/lib/mysql/
  #innodb_log_arch_dir          = /var/lib/mysql/
  #innodb_log_group_home_dir    = /var/lib/mysql/
  # you may wish to change this size to be more suitable for your system
  # the max is there to avoid run-away growth on your machine
  innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend:max:128M
  # we keep this at around 25% of of innodb_buffer_pool_size
  # sensible values range from 1MB to
(1/innodb_log_files_in_group*innodb_buffer_pool_size)
  innodb_log_file_size = 5M
  # this is the default, increase it if you have very large transactions going
on
  innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M
  # this is the default and won't hurt you
  # you shouldn't need to tweak it
  set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=2
  # see the innodb config docs, the other options are not always safe
  innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 1
  innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50

  [mysqldump]
  quick
  max_allowed_packet                    = 16M

  [mysql]
  # uncomment the next directive if you are not familiar with SQL
  #safe-updates

  [isamchk]
  key_buffer                                    = 20M
  sort_buffer_size                      = 20M
  read_buffer                           = 2M
  write_buffer                          = 2M

  [myisamchk]
  key_buffer                                    = 20M
  sort_buffer_size                      = 20M
  read_buffer                           = 2M
  write_buffer                          = 2M

  [mysqlhotcopy]
  interactive-timeout

--
thread