I recently installed a duet and two servers, one running on a ReadyNAS
NV+, the other on a vista PC (both show the same behavior). Brand new
install of 7.1, with the controller firmware updated to the latest.

I am using WMA VBR (about 130kbps) files.

Whatever I do, I cannot move inside a track using fast forward/backward
buttons. Moreover, there is no (real) documentation anywhere of how it
is supposed to work! Some thread refer to an old way of scanning, going
2x, 4x, 8x the speed, but the latest version seems to work completely
differently on the controller (you can apparently use the wheel to move
inside the track).

In my case, I press FF on the controller, and hold it until the "Song
position" windows appears, with a slider for the current position. If I
continue holding it, nothing happens. If I release the button, and press
it again, the slider moves (although the track continues to play without
interruption). When I release the FF button, the player would skip to
the beginning of the next track. If I move again within the track (FW
or RW), it will skip to the beginning of another track... And the time
counter get screwed from time to time (showing negative time position,
etc...).

According to the FAQ #5995, seeking within a track is supported for
"WMA CBR and WMA VBR"... According to the bug tracker entries, the
"seek" function seems just not to work. Plenty of other people reported
the same or similar issues. Which is it?

Frankly, not supporting correctly such a basic functionality is quite
unacceptable (any dirty cheap portable MP3 player can do that properly;
no excuses!).

--
aporret